Some children are born with very large ears. This can cause loss of self-esteem due to bullying. Ear tuck surgery can be used to permanently correct large ears. The surgery is called an otoplasty. As long as the ears are completely formed, this surgery can be performed on not only children, but adults as well. In most cases, the ear are their full size by the time the child is five or six years old. Any distortion of the ears can cause the child to become self-conscious and not perform well in school. The surgery is recommended prior to the child beginning school. The first step in the process is consulting with plastic surgeon, Mr. Stephen Salerno. During your consultation, Mr. Salerno may:
- Review the complete medical history of the potential patient. Ask about all medical conditions and any ear infections.
- Discuss any medications currently being used and any surgeries the individual has had.
- Talk about the expectations of the individual and the options for treatment including ear tuck surgery. Mr. Salerno may ask about the results the individual wants to achieve from the surgery.
- The ears may be examined by the surgeon for symmetry, shape, size and placement.
- Pictures of the ears may be taken for the medical records.
Ear tuck surgery is performed for the improvement of numerous cosmetic issues and concerns. This includes:
- Balancing the ears to achieve symmetry
- Correcting the position of the ear or ears on the head
- Correcting a disfigured or abnormal contour
- Ensuring the proportion of the ears is in balance with the features of the face
The Benefits of Ear Tuck Surgery
When the ears are imbalanced, not in proportion to the face or abnormally large, the self-confidence of the individual is usually negatively impacted. Pinning or reshaping the ears can improve both the looks and self-esteem of the individual. The additional benefits include:
- Studies have shown if a child is bullied when they are very young, the chances of developing a lower level of confidence increases. In the United States alone, the estimate is one out of every three children is the victim of bullying. Ear tuck surgery is an excellent option for increasing the feeling of security and confidence for the child.
- Otoplasty is often performed for ears with an appearance resembling cauliflower, cupped, folded or abnormally large or small. The ear can be reshaped for a natural appearance.
- Misshapen ears can cause a drop in self-esteem. Numerous individuals try to hide their ears with a specific hairstyle, headband, scarf or hat. Once the ears appear natural, the individual can simply be themselves. The surgery opens up an entirely new world of exciting opportunities.
To learn more about ear tuck surgery, visit REAL Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery in Moonee Ponds or Werribee. We serve clients throughout the Melbourne area. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!