There are several factors that can affect how your neck looks. These may include sun exposure, age, smoking, and genetics. Many people might get confused when it comes to choosing a treatment for their neck. Two options to choose from are a neck lift or a neck liposuction.
What is a neck lift?
A neck lift refers to a series of procedures performed to improve how your neck looks. These procedures can include:
- Removing neck muscles
- Removing excess skin
- Botox® injections for problems with bands or fullness
- Liposuction for getting rid of excess fat
A neck lift addresses three main problems: too much skin, a turkey wattle neck, and excess fat. If you have too much skin, your surgeon can trim sections of your skin and lift your neck skin into place. If you have a turkey wattle neck, your surgeon could make cuts behind your ears or on your chin in an attempt to access the platysma muscle.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is used to get rid of fat from your neck. During this procedure, a small and thin cannula is inserted through small cuts on your skin. Fat can be suctioned through the cannula (tipped tubes) as the doctor moves the tubes under the skin to reach fat deposits.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Neck Liposuction Over a Neck Lift
- Skin elasticity: If you have a taut and unwrinkled skin, a neck liposuction might be a sufficient measure for restoring a youthful look. For loose skin, your surgeon might recommend a neck lift for reducing wrinkles and tightening the skin.
- Your age: If you are below 40 years, you probably have firm tissue under your neck, and therefore liposuction might be enough to change your looks. However, if your skin is not elastic, a liposuction without a neck lift could leave your throat looking jowly and slack.
- The depth of fat tissue: The surgeon can check whether the fatty tissue that is plumping up the chin is under your skin. If the fat is deeper in your tissues, a neck lift will be required.
- Your goals: A neck lift is capable of tightening muscles surrounding your jaw and neck while getting rid of extra skin. In case you want a sharply etched appearance, a neck lift may be the best approach. For a softer curve, you can go for a liposuction.
When deciding whether to go for a neck liposuction or neck lift, you need to know the procedures and their applications. Liposuction corrects excess fat whereas a neck lift deals with muscle bands and loose skin by tightening muscles and removing excess skin. A neck lift may also involve a liposuction for addressing excess fat.
At Real Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery, we offer both neck lifts and liposuction to our patients. Mr. Salerno will be able to see what procedure is right for you. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.